Josh Rodenberg and Russell White, TechnoCosmica, InLight 2017, photo by Zephyr Sheedy
1708 Gallery invites national and international artists working in all media and disciplines to submit proposals for the 11th annual InLight Richmond. Proposals for InLight 2018 should involve, be inspired by, investigate, or interpret themes of light, from light as medium to light as concept.
InLight 2018 will take place on Friday, November 16, 2018 from 7PM to Midnight AND on Saturday, November 17, 2018, from 7pm to 10PM, at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. InLight is a public exhibition of contemporary light-based artworks—videos and projections, multi-media and interactive projects, sculptures, installations, performances.
Occurring during 1708 Gallery's 40th Anniversary Year, InLight 2018 will focus on ideas of Community. Recent editorials have described two Richmonds. “RVA” encompasses revitalization, creativity and growth. “Richmond” is divided, challenged, and struggling. Artists are invited to consider this dynamic and to imagine an ideal community—ONE Richmond. While existing work will be considered, 1708 Gallery encourages artists to propose projects that consider this theme.
Potential sites for installations and performances include pathways, façades and other walls, sidewalks, green spaces, trees, and more. In addition, a limited number of interior sites MAY be available. Artists may propose a specific site for both pre-existing and site-responsive works. Please indicate if your work is site-specific on your entry form. 1708 Gallery reserves the right to make final site assignments.
Images of the potential sites for installations can be viewed HERE.
HOW TO APPLY
All proposals are submitted online HERE.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Midnight (EST), July 8, 2018
Application fee is $30 and supports exhibition costs including juror stipend and artists honoraria.
- • How the project relates to the theme of light
- • How the project relates to the site and to ideas of Community
- • The feasibility of the project
$1500 Best in Show Award - to be selected by the juror
$500 People's Choice Award - to be selected by the InLight audience
The juror for InLight Richmond 2018 is Kimberli Gant, PhD, the McKinnon Curator of Modern & Contemporary Art at the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk, VA.
SELECTED ARTISTS RECEIVE
- • An honorarium of $600 per project
- • Significant production and technical support on a case-by-case basis
- Support includes technical expertise and production equipment such as large format projectors and sound systems and/or fabrication or material assistance.
- • Recognition and inclusion in all InLight Richmond media
SELECTED ARTIST GUIDELINES
- Artists are responsible for the installation and removal of artwork before and after exhibition.
- If you cannot be present, you must ship your work and provide detailed installation requirements along with unpacking/packing directions.
- Additional insurance coverage (1708 will provide basic insurance) may be required, to be determined in consultation with 1708 Gallery.
- All projects must be installed in a safe manner, and abide by all by-laws, laws, and safety standards, to be assessed and evaluated in consultation with 1708 Gallery (for example, electrical wiring must meet electrical safety standards).
- Artists grant permission to 1708 Gallery to reproduce entries for the purposes of publicity and education unless otherwise noted on the entry form. Please include photo credit where it differs from the artist's name.
July 8, 2018 Deadline for submissions
August 1, 2018 Artists will be notified
November 16 + 17, 2018 InLight Richmond
Please contact the 1708 Gallery staff by calling (804) 643-1708 or by emailing email@example.com.